Lively, entertaining reviews of, and essays on, old and newer films and everything relating to them, written by professional author William Schoell.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959)

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959). Director: Terence Fisher. 

Very creditable, atmospheric adaptation from Hammer films of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic Sherlock Holmes story. With impeccable diction and a beautiful air of superiority, Peter Cushing is marvelous as a somewhat bitchy Holmes. Andre Morell, of The Giant Behemoth and many other films, tries a more dignified approach as Watson than Nigel Bruce and it works, even if he's less "lovable" (and a lot less bumbling). Christopher Lee is impressive, as always, as the endangered Sir Henry Baskerville, although he seems a bit wasted. Marla Landi scores as the hot-tempered Cecile Stapleton and Ewen Solon is effective as her father. Miles Malleson as the slightly vague bishop and entomologist nearly steals the picture. Handsome production values, although you may recognize some of the sets from other Hammer films. Seems to be fairly faithful to the story as well. 

Verdict: Good show, Watson. ***.

2 comments:

Mark Shaw said...

I was already a solid Rathbone fan by the time I saw this (around 1965 at 11yrs). To me, Rathbone simply WAS Sherlock Holmes--and there was no way I could accept anyone else as anything but inferior. That said, I remember liking Morell's take on Watson, and it made me wonder if critics weren't right in their disdain for Nigel Bruce's bumbling ditheryness (I eventually decided both versions worked for me). I've grown to love Peter Cushing, but even today, I think his Sherlock Holmes in this is just terrible--he's WAY too theatrical and is over-emphatic in every word and gesture. When he flings the dagger at Dr. Mortimer's fingers, I think it's ridiculous and unbelievable--not to mention that Mortimer barely seems to notice. Anyway, Cushing's super-cokey overacting was just weird and irritating to me as a kid--and still is. What I liked most about the film was its spectacular color--it was lurid and startling and made a big impression. This must've been one of the first Hammers I ever saw, because I didn't recognize Christopher Lee. I thought the tarantula on Lee's shoulder was mildly icky and the Hound was underwhelming. Oh well...

--Mark

William said...

Well, aside from great diction and their both being British (where Rathbone was raised) Rathbone and Cushing come from different periods and their acting styles aren't exactly the same. It's been awhile since I've seen this version, but my review may reflect my generally favorable view of Mr. Cushing. This is not to say he makes the better Sherlock, but I liked his interpretation better than you did. To each his own! I will say, however, that Rathbone WAS the greatest Holmes.