Lively, entertaining reviews of, and essays on, old and newer films and everything relating to them, written by professional author William Schoell.

Thursday, September 28, 2023

COLORIZING OLD MOVIES

The colorization controversy began quite a few years ago, with sounds of outrage heard from certain quarters, and others overjoyed to find that some of their favorite films would now be in color. Then there were middle-of-the-roaders. It was one thing to colorize the Christmas-y It's a Wonderful Life, but another to colorize film noir -- that wasn't fair, people felt, to the original cinematographers who carefully arranged compositions of light and shadow (of course this would not necessarily be lost with the colorizing process).

Over the years there have been many colorized films on DVD. There are more than one channel on youtube that specialize in colorized versions of old movies. The best is probably Colorized Cinema, which also has its own website. You can sign up to get email alerts for new colorized films, many of which you can watch for free on youtube, while others you can buy on their website. 

The other channels on youtube are catch as catch can. Sometimes the colorizing is extremely well-done while at other times it looks like it was done in somebody's garage. There are cliffhanger serials that look great in color and others that simply have mediocre coloring jobs impressed on prints that were already fuzzy. (It's better to watch a clear black and white print than a colorized print that causes eyestrain).

You will notice that I have been reviewing a number of colorized films on both this blog and my brother blog B Movie Nightmare. Others are free to disagree but I happen to think that some monster movies and cliffhanger serials look great in color and increase my enjoyment of them. 

One has to remember that even if a film is colorized, you don't have to watch that version. The original black and white versions are still available. The DVDs of most movies that have been colorized give you the option of watching in color or black and white anyway. It reminds me of what (I believe) Raymond Chandler said when someone remarked that the movies were ruining his books. He pointed to his bookshelf and replied that the books were still there, unchanged, regardless of how good or bad the film versions were. 

Ditto for colorization. You can enjoy it -- or ignore it. 

3 comments:

angelman66 said...

I enjoy it as a curiosity though I personally prefer the black and white versions of most movies. But if it opens up the stories to a younger audience, maybe that's good.
Recently I went to the channel on YouTube you mentioned and saw a colorized version of the highlights of Baby Jane and actually really enjoyed it, though it made Joan too glamorous and Bette a bit too monstrous...
-C

William said...

I can imagine! I haven't come across the Baby Jane clip yet but I going to check it out. You've made a good point that younger viewers might enjoy classic cinema more if the films are in color. I think it depends on the film.

William said...

Thanks, Mark. I don't remember if I've seen THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD in color yet but I'll look for it. I wasn't aware that TARANTULA had been colorized and that's one I would like to find. I completely agree that the color -- if its done reasonably well -- enhances all of those old monster movies. I downloaded a whole bunch from youtube and am working my way through them -- KRONOS and ATOMIC SUB are on the list!